Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Customer Service

So here is what I think about customer service. It is for the CUSTOMER. I am sorry if you had a bad day before you came to work, but it is not my fault, don't take it out on me. I have worked in customer service my whole working life and my customers never knew I was having a bad day.

Example: Our TV is broken. We went from watching a 43" to now a 13". We need to fix our TV. We have a warranty and the company doing the work is Keith's something or other down in Orem. They told me they would order the new color wheel last week and they didn't order it until yesterday. Then they said it would take at least a full business week for the part to come in and then they would call to set up an appointment to come fix the TV. Bleh. (side note: this is why companies sell you warranty plans - they make money from the plan and then it is nearly impossible to use your warranty that you get so fed up and buy a new TV.)
Now, it is bad enough that Keith's whatever company didn't order my part when they said they would, but then they put this really nasty girl on phone duty. She was very short with me, kept hmming and haaing, put me on hold a bunch and then (get this) HUNG UP ON ME! I wasn't even rude to her for having to put up with my 13" for another 2 weeks (at least!) Now I understand that she is having a bad day. Maybe her goldfish died or maybe her husband bought the wrong brand of unmentionables. I am sorry for the goldfish and while I know it is irritating about the wrong brand (been there, done that) but... IT'S NOT THE CUSTOMER'S FAULT!!!

Please, please, please, if you work in customer service, put your bad days in your back pocket to deal with on your breaks or when you get home. I am sorry that sometimes customers are mean too. Remember though, we all may be having a bad day and it is up to each of us to smile anyways and get along.

No comments: